If you are throwing a Memorial Day party at your apartment in Garner, NC we have some advice for you from two barbeque experts. Here are some really good ideas to help you save money on your next outdoor party.
1. Start with a marinade. This means planning ahead. It is worth it because you can pass up that well-marbled ribeye steak and buy a less tender and less expensive choice to grill like a flank steak or chuck steak. Marinate it for one or two days and then cook long and slow on the barbeque grill.
2. Set your grill to medium heat. It’s so easy to overcook meat, especially when you’re entertaining. Grilling over medium heat is key because the beef will be browned perfectly and cooked evenly. The same goes for chicken.
3. Dessert? Try Grilled Fruit. It's inexpensive and unexpected. Try grilling fruit like watermelon, pears and pineapple. It really doesn't get any easier or healthier than that. If you need something to cool off with, serve the grilled fruit with a scoop of frozen yogurt or ice cream.
4. Choose poultry instead of beef. “Beer-butt chicken” - place an entire chicken on the grill with an open can of beer inserted into it. The beer steams the flesh and produces very moist and succulent meat. Turkey dogs and turkey bacon is a healthier choice for popular “bacon wrapped cheese hot dogs” for kids. Just wrap the hotdog in cheese, and wrap cooked bacon around it. Rolls and condiments are optional.
5. Or choose fish instead of beef. Grill salmon on disposable cedar planks, that are soaked first so that the salmon remains moist while cooking.
6. Make your own coleslaw and baked beans. If you’ve got the time and the inclination, this is a big money-saver.
7. Buy meat on sale or in bulk. Don’t be afraid to buy meat in the sale section of the meat display. “You can always take it to the store butcher to check out if you aren’t sure and rewrap.&rdquo
8. Yes, you do want leftovers. If you get a great deal on a package of steaks, grill them all up. Then you can slice the steak up the next day and wrap it in a burrito for a protein-rich breakfast or serve it on a salad for a nice light steak salad with extra veggies and vinaigrette.
Patch – sponsored by Home Depot