In America, it can be difficult to know what a portion size looks like, with the constant super sizing and humongous restaurant portions. Over time, plates have multiplied in size, and, seemingly, so have our appetites. Over time, you get used to eating more when it is readily available, I guess.
With that in mind, here are some visual aids to help you tell when enough is enough:
- Cooked meat: A 3-ounce serving will be about the size of a deck of cards.
- Fish: 3 ounces is the size of a checkbook.
- Cheese: One ounce is the size of four dice.
- Sliced cheese: One slice is the diameter of a CD.
- Pasta/rice: A half cup is the size of a baseball cut in half.
For more tips on how to tell if your portions are an appropriate size, visit Reader’s Digest online.