Roll out the welcome mat and welcome Victoria King to the Abberly Place Team! Victoria is the newest member to our leasing team and we could not be happier. Please feel free to stop by our office and welcome her to the team!
March Madness Party!
Get ready because we are having a March Madness Resident Party this year! The party will be on March 17th from 6:00-8:00. This will be the first time we have had a March Madness Party and we are looking forward to it and we know that you will not be disappointed.
We know that many of our residents are college basketball fans so what better way to fill out your bracket?! Selection Sunday will be on March 16th so the timing will be perfect. We will have brackets at the party or you can fill yours out and bring it with you. We will have all of the original games displayed on a large bracket to better assist you with filling out your own.
This is not the best part…we will be offering a gift card to whoever has the winningest bracket! Make sure to wear your favorite team’s attire to the party. We will be serving pizza for dinner and drinks will also be included. Hope to see you there!
Saint Patrick’s Day!
Did You Know?
St. Patrick’s Day Celebration
- Corned beef and cabbage is a traditional St. Patrick’s Day dish. In 2009, roughly 26.1 billion pounds of beef and 2.3 billion pounds of cabbage were produced in the United States.
- Irish soda bread gets its name and distinctive character from the use of baking soda rather than yeast as a leavening agent.
- Lime green chrysanthemums are often requested for St. Patrick’s Day parades and celebrations.
St. Patrick’s Day Parade
- The first St. Patrick’s Day parade took place in the United States on March 17, 1762, when Irish soldiers serving in the English military marched through New York City.
- More than 100 St. Patrick’s Day parades are held across the United States. New York City and Boston are home to the largest celebrations.
- At the annual New York City St. Patrick’s Day parade, participants march up 5th Avenue from 44th Street to 86th Street. Each year, between 150,000 and 250,000 marchers take part in the parade, which does not allow automobiles or floats.
Places to Spend St. Patrick’s Day
- There are seven places in the United States named after the shamrock, the floral emblem of Ireland including Mount Gay-Shamrock, WV; Shamrock, TX; Shamrock Lakes, IN; and Shamrock, OK.
- Sixteen U.S. places share the name of Ireland’s capital, Dublin. With 44,541 residents, Dublin, CA, is the largest of the nice, followed by Dublin, OH, with 39,310.
- Other towns with the luck of the Irish include Emerald Isle, North Carolina and Irishtown, Illinois.
Saint Patrick’s Day Soda Bread
- 2 1/2 cups flour
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons McCormick® Caraway Seed
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon McCormick® Cinnamon, Ground
- 1/2 teaspoon salt 1/2 cup raisins or currants
- 1 1/4 cups buttermilk
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 teaspoon
- Pure Vanilla Extract
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Lightly grease 9-inch round cake pan.
- Mix flour, sugar, caraway seed, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon and salt in large bowl. Stir in raisins. Mix buttermilk, eggs and vanilla in medium bowl; stir into dry ingredients. Spread in prepared pan.
- Bake 45 to 50 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool in pan on wire rack 10 minutes. Remove from pan. Cool completely on wire rack.
Annual Sprinkler and
Fire Alarm Testing
We will be testing the fire alarms on both Phases on Wednesday, March 12th and Thursday, March 13th. Be aware that the fire alarm will go off briefly in your apartment. We do this to ensure our system is operating correctly.
Bluebirds, honeysuckles, blooming flowers, sunshine, kites flying, frogs jumping, and morning dew…what do you think of when you hear these words? Spring Time is here! The first day of Spring will be on Thursday, March 20th. Bring on the greener grass, warmer temps, and outdoor activities, and blooming flowers. Speaking of flowers, a few of the most liked springtime flowers are Tulips, Peonies, and Lilies. What is your favorite springtime flower ?
Air Filter Changes
The Service Team will be changing air filters in the buildings listed below during the month of March. Please make a note for yourselves if your building is on the list below. We ask that you kennel or secure all pets and please disarm alarm systems for that day.
We change your air filters so that your heating/air conditioning unit works more efficiently. Thank you for your cooperation.
3/12 – 200 Abberly Crest Blvd.
3/13 – 300 Abberly Crest Blvd.
3/19 –400 Plantation Pine Circle
3/20 - 200 Calico Creek Dr.
3/26 – 700 Copperline Drive
3/27-1600 Tumbling Stone Way
Pick Up The Poop
We have noticed a HUGE problem with residents NOT picking up behind their dogs. It has gotten so bad that others cannot even walk through the grass to pick up their dog’s poop, without stepping in someone else’s.
This problem exists throughout the property on Phase 1 and Phase 2, however, some of the major areas are around and in front of the 200 building on Phase 1 and between the 1300 and 900 buildings on Phase 1 as well. There is also a problem behind the 600 building in Phase 1.
The biggest problems on Phase 2 seem to be around the 700 building on both sides and behind the building. Also, in front of the 900 building and on both sides of the 300 building.
The worst part of this is that all of these areas have doggie poop stands right there and people are allowing their dog to go beside the stand and still not picking it up.Not only is this unsightly and unsanitary, it is also plain lazy, ridiculous, irresponsible and against the law.
We are encouraging all residents to watch carefully and let us know if you see anyone not picking up behind their dogs. Feel free to call and leave a message or drop us an anonymous note in the drop box, with a description of the person and/or dog and what building they walk into.Send us a picture if you would like to. We will investigate and fine the resident who is being so inconsiderate.
Another issue that has been brought to our attention is that some pet owners are “walking” their dogs without a leash. This is also against the rules and against the law. Anyone seen with a dog off the leash will immediately be fined and if it occurs a second time, you will be asked to remove the dog from the community.
Everyone should remember that having a pet in the community is simply a privilege and can be taken away at any time.If we find that you are being irresponsible with your pet, we will “evict” him or her from the community and pet fees are not refundable.
Thank you all for your help in correcting this problem and a big THANK YOU to those responsible pet owners who DO follow the rules.
Rent vs. Buying
FORTUNE -- Modern America has long paired the "American Dream" with home ownership. The idea of staying put, paying property taxes and periodically mowing the lawn belonged to citizens who were somehow more American than the poor saps who could only afford to rent the place they called home.
The notion isn't accidental. Ownership and the American Dream are deeply linked in government policies that favor mortgages over rent payments, dating back before Herbert Hoover was elected president in 1929.
As secretary of commerce, amid the Red Scare, Hoover trumpeted home ownership, believing that if one had an equity stake in the country, they'd less likely fall under the spell of Communism.What followed during the Great Depression were a spate of federal measures to help troubled homeowners, at a time when half of all mortgages were in default.
Massive government programs supporting ownership still exist today, but record home foreclosures and spiraling prices have forced a redefinition of the American Dream -- one that includes renting.
In today's weak housing market, ownership has ceased to be an investment vehicle that millions used to trade up into the houses of their dreams in the boom years. And it's not an ATM machine for constant refinancing, either. Instead, for the past four years, ownership has been a culprit of distress.
In June, one in every 411 housing units received a foreclosure filing, according to RealtyTrac Inc. Between 2006 and 2009, home prices fell more than 32%, according to the S&P/Case-Shiller Home Price Index.
We are running a special on our storage units this month. Please call our office or come by to reserve your storage today. Storage units can come in handy when you are doing your spring cleaning!!
Short Term Furnished Apartment
As many of you know, we have a guest apartment that you all can reserve for your family and friends if they are visiting from out of the area. It is a two bedroom two bath, and is fully furnished.
The rental rate for this is generally $80 a night, but we will be running a special for the months of March and April. If you reserve the guest apartment during these months, it will only be $70 a night. Reserve it while there are still a few spots left!